Skip to main content

System backup restore replication

System backup restore replication


After Ive spent quite a while configuring and tweaking the system it is a natural thought to save its state so that if anything goes wrong I could restore it back.
My requirements were:
  1. free and simple solution
  2. fast backup/restore
I was using acronis true image for my windows system, but on linux theres a free and great tool that can do the job - fsarchiver. It is not installed by default so you have to install it via synaptic/apt-get
It really is simple and great, can backup separate folders and the whole fs.. To backup the whole system I run it from the bootable media.
  1. Preparation. Get rescue disk from here. Burn it or create a bootable usb drive.
  2. Boot from the media. Mount the drive that will hold the backup image.
  3. Backup: $ fsarchiver savefs -j 2 -v ~/flash.fsa /dev/sdd1
  4. Restore: $ fsarchiver restfs /data/flash.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdd1
-j option enables the usage of 2 CPUs, -v is for more information during the execution.

download file now

Popular posts from this blog

Takenoko I LOVE This Game!

Takenoko I LOVE This Game! My Husband bought me the Collectors Edition of Takenoko and when I first saw it, I immediately thought: ok this is definitely a girly game made to entertain young children. However, Takenoko turned out to be a fantastic game! Ive even put it in my �top five" games list. Its a game meant for 2-4 players and is recommended for ages 13 and up, yet my Husband and I had no problems playing this with our kids who are 11 and 12. The box says it plays in about 45 minutes, but weve found most games take about 60 if playing with 4 people --youll be having so much fun, time wont matter anyways! The backstory of Takenoko is written in a comic book style inside the rulebook. Its a super cute game where a Chinese Emperor whom has a large garden --grows a wide selection of bamboo plants, maintained by his Gardener. However the Emperor has now received a present - a large panda bear which he lets roam around in his garden. Unfortunately the panda has quite the appetit...

Top 3 ways to disable high contrast and accessibility features in Windows 7

Top 3 ways to disable high contrast and accessibility features in Windows 7 BEFORE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE, make sure your users dont actually need this feature. High-contrast mode is very useful for some people. If you disable it for them, they will be pissed (I noticed several visitors got mad at me for writing this tutorial). Working as a system administrator (among other roles) in an international school, weve got a lot of computers to manage here and kids never miss a chance to mess up with them. The latest trend is to enable high-contrast mode, basically making the computer turn black and white along with a bunch of other fluorescent colors. I dont need to remind you how annoying this is and why a more permanent solution needs to be found for this problem. Tip: you can quickly enable or disable high contrast mode by pressing  Left Alt+Left Shift+Print Screen . In this article, I am providing three different ways to permanently disable high-contrast mode . All have their pros an...

Tarzan

Tarzan Tarzan Action Game (PC/Full/Eng) Game Platforme(s) : PC | Language : English | Release Date : Feb 16, 1999 Publisher & Developer : Disney Interactive | Genre : Action/Adventure | Size : 38 Mb Tarzan Action GameSummer. The days are hot and long, and its time for bar-b-ques, camping, and baseball. Summer doesnt just happen outside, though. Its also blockbuster movie season, when theaters screen entertainment thats typically a little lighter in content and more technically dazzling than the award-oriented films shown in the colder, darker, shorter days of fall and winter. Accordingly, summer big-screen fun has come to belong to Disney, which releases an animated feature every year to coincide with the conditions that make it easy to spend an afternoon in an air conditioned movie house, often time and time again to see the same feature over and over. If youve spent any time near fast-food franchises or a department store, then you know from all the merchandise that this years ...